March 13, 2011

Wild for Wire

When was the last time you considered wire as a design element in your own space?  Wire has long been used to make a wide variety of furnishings. There is of course, the iconic Bertoia wire chair.
I mean, where would Mid Century Modern be without this chair?

And there is a dizzying array of wire lighting in design-land these days.
Available Here
I first saw this in ElleDecor a few years back and fell. in. love. Look at this beauty! It has everything going for it.....size, shape, color...it's just plain effing cool!! There are also simpler options, if the swirls and curliques aren't your thing.
Available Here


Or, for those of you with a 'dangerous' side, there are choices for you, too!
Read more about this Here
Really cool options, right?


But what if you were in the market for something a little different and unexpected? We've got you covered..... 
Availability and Artist Credit Here
It's a wire quilt......a wire quilt. Amazing!




Here are some of my own attempts at designing with wire.



 This was an experiment I did a few years ago....I wanted to see if I could 'write' with wire. I asked my son to give me a word, he said 'great' so I went with it! I'm not a huge fan of the words on the wall trend, but this works for me. I love the industrial quality of it and I think it really is ...great! It pays to experiment.



Here is another wire creation I attempted that turned out (imho) awesome!! I use these wire balls every year at Christmas. See them at my previous post here. But during the rest of the year, I casually place them around the house to light up dark corners as beautifully glowing little sculptures. I will post later with a tutorial on how I made these.





So, what wire accessories do you love? Have you experimented with wire in your own design? Please Share!
I would love to hear what you've done.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have used wire in many projects for my church. I did a huge, 10' tall chicken wire tree with multiple branches, I loved it. I found the hardest part was getting used to wearing gloves while I worked. thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...